Saturday, May 1, 2010

on cryptocerci

The slightly androgynous-looking teenage girl read her theology book while listening to classical music.
As the Hallelujah Chorus faded into Canon in D, a slight noise sounded behind and a lovely fat roach emerged in triumph from the curtain. The girl eked out a muffled scream and leaped at least her full body length away from the threat.
The roach settled smugly into a fold of the curtain. What now? it seemed to say.
Oh no. What do I do? How do I kill it if it's on the curtain? A shoe. I need a shoe. Even though it currently won't help.
She retrieved a too-small flat from her closet and, to her dismay, the roach decided that was a good time to disappear. A few frantic seconds later, it was discovered hiding camouflaged on the curtain rod.
Ah, you're a tricky one.
You will never defeat me.

"OH BUT I CAN!" (Shouted.) How the heck am I going to achieve this? (Thought.)
Minutes passed. The girl stood rooted on a relatively clean spot on the floor while the roach repeatedly ran the circumference of the curtain rod.
"I can't do this."
A last malevolent glare at the roach and the girl's mother was sought, found, informed of the roach's presence. Upon entering the crime scene she scolded her daughter rather heavily on the disgusting state of her room, then -
"Where is it?"
Uneasiness. "It's right there, on top of the knot on the curtain. See it?"
"...I have bad eyesight..."
Despair. "YOU DON'T SEE IT?! It's staring at us!" The roach insolently twitched its antennae, facing them full-on. "IT'S STARING US DOWN!"
"You need to clean this room." She unceremoniously swatted the little devil spawn and dived after where he landed with a piece of tissue.
The girl tried not to listen to the sound of a roach crunching off his mortal coil.
At length, our young heroine found herself in her room, alone with her books and bug paranoia. It was arranged that she should clean her room tomorrow, and be banned from her DSi until cleanliness was accomplished.
(Woe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment