Thursday, April 29, 2010

journal from the valley of the shadow of death

These are the journal entries I wrote while in Guatemala. A lot of it is mundane details about the days for future reference, but there's more significant stuff too. I edited out tmi situations and idiotic misspellings for your, the reader's, sake. Enjoy or click away in irritation at your discretion.

April 19, 2010 8:39 PM

Where to begin?
First let me say that I'm on a mission trip in Guatemala City. My team is running a Bible school for the dump kids and building shelters for them, & the other team is somewhere else in Guatemala doing something.
The poverty slapped me in the face. I've never been willing to acknowledge the reality of poverty; I never could have even imagined this. Children, dogs, and women sift through huge piles of trash in the middle of the streets - men splash their bare chests with bottled water - hopeless old people sit against a wall looking like all their tears have been drained.
Words can't describe it. It was so quietly horrifying, so incredibly empty and sad.
As I watched a family from a rooftop - they were living in a roofless plywood enclosure - I realized how ungrateful I've been all my life. So selfish, so presumptuous, so spoiled by myself. "We have too much."
My heart is too full to write without crying, which would be quite awkward in the single room I'm sharing with my mom and Ms. Harness.
Suffice it to say, I will never be the same.

April 20, 2010 10:55 PM

I stayed in the room until lunch because I felt bad. But God made me feel better and after lunch I went with the group.
We delivered bags of food to several dump families. While we were at the mission, a woman named Esperanza came in and - apparently; I don't understand Spanish - told Carol she wanted to change. (She is an alcoholic and makes her children sniff glue so they won't feel hunger pangs.) Carol led her through what seemed to be the sinner's prayer, though hopefully it was better than that. Esperanza seemed sincerely penitent. We all cried.
Esperanza means hope.
We went to Esperanza's workplace - a one-room building full of garbage and roaches and rats - and Mom shared the gospel with Esperanza's coworkers, Maria and Luz. Luz - "Light" - is a Christian; Maria once professed Christ but fell away.
After that we braved the dump. A little girl with nightly fevers; a little boy with a brain tumor and seizures. I was struck with the fact that most of the husbands seem to abuse their families. The mother of the sick boy had a mysterious, brutal-looking welp on her arm.
I bought four bracelets, one for myself & three for souvenirs for friends, from the surprisingly creative & neat mother of the aforementioned little girl. They're made completely out of coke pop tops.
Also, Ms. Karen moved to a less crowded room...

April 22, 2010 12:02 AM

Today we hindered poor Carol with the Tabitha kids in true gringo fashion.
We had lunch.
Then we went back to the mission and Mom shared some Scriptures and expounded on them to a bunch of dump women. A while later we heard Bro. Tim preach - of course they both had translators - and then we had a prayer meeting.
It was unlike anything I'd seen in America. Everyone prayed at once, Spanish and English words being lifted up to the Father. At length I heard the woman sitting beside me sobbing. I couldn't understand what she was saying, but I got the sense by the bitterness of her tears that she was penitent of her sin. Me, Mom, & Ms. Tami held her & prayed for her.
When all was done, the prayers over, our eyes met and we smiled, the tears still wet on our faces. All language barrier was stripped away for a moment; we spoke the universal language of Christian love.
Smiles can speak a thousand words.

April 23, 2010 9:01 AM

I was sick all day yesterday. I felt weak and lethargic, probably from jet lag or lack of sleep. Mom had an upset stomach, but she's better today.
Last night Bro. Tim got sick. He was throwing up & had a fever. Ms. Karen gave him medicine & now he's sleeping, so I don't know if he's better yet.
Today is Chloe's birthday. I wanted to call her, but it's too expensive.
I'm unclear on what we're going to do today, but I think the women are going to share the gospel with the musicians who are playing at the seminary 24/7.

April 23, 2010 10:47 PM

We went to a church and Mom talked to a group of women. We then went to a school across the street where I gained admirers from both genders, the girls apparently assuming I was a guy because of my short hair.
Ms. Tami & I did the Way of the Master thingy with 3 college-age boys on the [seminary] campus. They got excited about the illusion cards and showed them to all their friends.
Today was our last real workday. I haven't really been homesick all week, but I can't wait to get home.

April 25, 2010 9:13 AM

Yesterday we spent all day in Antigua, sightseeing and shopping. I bought a "jade" cross necklace and a beautiful painting.
At 10:30 we're going to church. Bro. Tim will preach with either Ms. Katrina or the Guatemalan pastor guy translating.
I really, really, really miss home, now that it's so close. We leave for America tomorrow.
Yesterday in Antigua I gave some tracts to a beggar & several children who were selling gifts. Later me & Mom found that they had shown them to the other sales kids. It was neat.
The Guatemalan pastor said we might get scared because his church was a "very happy church." Oh boy.

April 26, 2010 8:28 AM

We're going home in a few hours. <3
I thank God for everything He's shown me this week. I feel like I've become years older in seven days... it's certainly not something you usually see at 13.
I'm praying that it will be a long, long time before I complain about my blessings. God put me in a place of affluence - relatively - and I have no right to whine when these Guatemalan people have nothing.
Anyway... I enjoyed the church service, though it was a bit happy. There was a lot of emotion, especially from one woman who was sobbing & praying loudly... I'm not sure why emotions were stirred so much, or if it's a good thing.
It's confirmed we're leaving for the airport at 10:00. :D Now I shall eat...

So, rather unremarkably, ends my journal. Looking back, I wish I had been more detailed about events now faded in my memory, but then again it would've meant more boredom for you, dear reader.
I have told you everything I could about the trip; do not ask me to explain it in the future. As part of my quiet ninja kid status, I cannot effectively express myself through any medium but writing - so all you'd get is stammering, anyway.

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment