My question is very simple. You know how we can see the moon in the daytime during certain phases? And how it's kind of highish in the sky? Why do we see it that high in the daytime sky and then that night we see it down at the horizon and it appears to rise again?
This has been my question for about two weeks, when I saw the daytime moon from a bus window. I asked my friend, and she didn't seem to fully understand my question. She googled it, found an answer of "it's because the moon rises and sets at different points in the sky because of its different phases," and seemed satisfied. But what? How does that explain how it looks higher in the sky and a few hours later appears lower than before?
So I thought about it for a couple of weeks, trying and trying to make sense of it in my head. Obviously, since I'm blogging about it, I couldn't. Tonight I asked my parents. My dad either failed to understand the question or didn't know how to answer it; my mom googled it and got similarly vague answers. Then my sister and I googled it and all we got was stuff we had learned in 5th grade. Yes, internet, I am fully aware that the moon's phases are caused by its
position relative to the earth and sun, that the moon appears to rise
and set because of the earth's rotation, and the moon rotates the earth
every 28 days. Stop patronizing me.
Four people have googled and google has failed to answer this simple question. It appears to be nowhere on the internet. Attempts to ask my other sister's astrophysicist boyfriend were apparently denied. After some agitated discussion, my mother asked the question that I had been afraid to ask: am I the only person who has ever thought of this? Surely not. I may be borderline autistic but I'm not that original. Even pages that look like they would answer my question just say "oh herpderp it's cause the moon has phases and stuff, BET YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT!" Obviously there's either a government conspiracy or science really doesn't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment